According to Las Vegas Fire and Rescue, so far there have been no cooking fires in Las Vegas over the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanksgiving typically has more cooking-related fires than any other day of the year.
However, seven people have been hospitalized due to exposure to potentially lethal levels of carbon monoxide.
Firefighters responded at around 10:20 p.m. on Wednesday to an apartment near Owens Avenue and H Street when a carbon monoxide detector activated and a family called 911.
Firefighters said the level of carbon monoxide in the apartment could have been life-threatening. Eight people – three adults and four children - were in the apartment. One adult and three children were taken to University Medical Center to be checked out. The occupants said they had been cooking all day inside the apartment.
Firefighters responded to a home on Monroe Avenue, near Nellis Boulevard and Owens Avenue, just before 2 a.m. on Thursday. Carbon monoxide levels were high inside the home and a child and adult were taken to University Medical Center. The adult said she had been cooking all night.
Firefighters said that if you are cooking for an extended amount of time, you should open a window or door to let fresh air in once each hour.
Firefighters also said carbon monoxide detectors may have saved these families.
Copyright 2012 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
You can download the new FOX5 Vegas mobile app, which now features an Interactive Radar and the MyReport photo submission tool. iPhone DownloadiPad DownloadAndroid DownloadAmazon Fire DownloadFor the bestMore>>
Sunday, December 8 2013 1:53 AM EST2013-12-08 06:53:43 GMT
Police say a bicyclist has been hit and killed in the intersection of Eastern and Sunset. Fatal detail is heading to the scene. The intersection will be closed for at least 2 to 3 hours. Police sayMore >
Bicyclist killed after being hit by a car in intersection.More >
Wednesday, October 9 2013 10:46 PM EDT2013-10-10 02:46:38 GMT
Students at a Las Vegas high school said a picture circulating online, which shows a girl stripped of her clothes and nearly naked, happened on campus this week. Several Durango High School students whoMore >
Students at a Las Vegas high school said a picture circulating online, which shows a girl stripped of her clothes and nearly naked, happened on campus this week. More >
Sunday, December 8 2013 6:47 PM EST2013-12-08 23:47:40 GMT
Las Vegas firefighters responded to Westeria Avenue, near US95 and Jones just before 10 Saturday evening after fire dispatchers received multiple 9-1-1 calls that a house was on fire. When firefightersMore >
Las Vegas firefighters responded to Westeria Avenue, near US95 and Jones just before 10 p.m. Saturday after fire dispatchers received multiple 911 calls that a house was on fire.More >