It should come as no surprise that the kitchen is the room in a house most likely to catch fire and that it's almost always due to cooking.
With the holidays upon us, the American Red Cross wants to remind you that there are steps you can take to prevent a fire while cooking.
The Red Cross suggests the following to prevent fire:
Never wear loose clothing or dangling sleeves while cooking.
Never leave cooking food unattended. If you must leave the kitchen, turn off the stove.
Keeps kids away from the cooking area, at least three feet from the stove.
Keep anything that can catch fire – pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, towels and curtains – away from the stove, oven and any appliance that generates heat.
Clean cooking surfaces regularly to prevent grease buildup.
Keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
Make sure the stove, oven and small appliances are off before going to sleep or leaving the house.
Install a smoke alarm near your kitchen. Use the test button to check it each month and replace the batteries at least once a year.
Copyright 2012 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.