Tips for heating your home safely - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Tips for heating your home safely

Posted: Updated:
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Nighttime temperatures are expected to plunge to around 40 degrees this weekend and it won't warm up much from that during the day.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue wants you to keep some things in mind before heating your home.

Fighters say furnaces which have not been used for several months will have a build-up of dust and dirt on the heating elements. This should burn off in a few hours and will produce a noticeable odor.

If your furnace makes a rumbling noise or produces dark smoke, you should evacuate your home and call 911.

If you home has a wall heater unit, you should push furniture and other combustibles away from the unit.

Before using a fireplace or wood-burning stove, make sure combustibles are kept away from them. Also, make sure the damper in the chimney flue is open. That's the trap door on top of the fireplace in the chimney pipe. If you don't, your home could become filled with smoke.

If you use a space heater, never use an extension cord and keep combustible items at least three feet away from them. Electric heaters should be unplugged when not in use.

You should never use a barbecue or stove to heat your home. Also, make sure your smoke alarms are working and you might consider having a carbon monoxide detector in your home as well.

Copyright 2012 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

More News

Download the FOX5 Vegas app

Updated:

You can download the new FOX5 Vegas mobile app, which now features an Interactive Radar and the MyReport photo submission tool. iPhone DownloadiPad DownloadAndroid DownloadAmazon Fire DownloadFor the best More>>

Powered by WorldNow
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service..