Food trucks like Fukuburger will be mandated to stay clear of a 150-foot zone around area restaurants.
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
The battle between Las Vegas restaurants and food trucks has gotten downright nasty over the last year.
"(We've) taken half-eaten tomatoes and thrown them at the food trucks, we've dealt with the police on five or six occasions," said Wes Isbutt, owner of The Arts Factory downtown.
"I wish restaurants would realize that 150, or even 10 feet, is not going to convince John Q. Citizen that was going to their restaurant to get sidetracked," said Colin Fukunaga of the popular Fuku Burger food truck.
After months of pubic meetings, the Las Vegas City Council voted Wednesday on it's version of a compromise.
By a 5-1 margin, the city is mandating food trucks stay 150 feet away from restaurants.
"That works. One hundred fifty feet works," said Isbutt.
He wished the distance approved could have been farther, but, even so, he's not completely convinced the ordinance will protect poaching on his downtown business.
"I do expect the same few bad apples to do it," Isbutt said.
Violations of the ordinance will carry fines of up to $1,000 and/or six months in jail.
"It's basically eliminating a lot of food trucks from going downtown," said Fukunaga.
According to Fukunaga, it was not long ago the city was encouraging food trucks to inhabit downtown to help transform the area, but now they're being booted.
"In my opinion, it's a little slap in the face," he said.
Isbutt and Fukunaga do agree it's a small number of rogue food trucks that have operated unethically which has brought the issue to a head.
Mayor Carolyn Goodman stated in Wednesday's meeting that the two sides could come back to the council if there is a need to adjust the ordinance.
It will not be illegal for trucks to park in front of restaurants they were invited to or if special use permits are approved for large events.
Copyright 2012 KVVU (KVVU Broadcast Corporation). All Rights Reserved.
Search and rescue crews across Southeast Asia scrambled on Saturday to find a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 that disappeared from air traffic control screens over waters between Malaysia and Vietnam early that...More >
Malaysia intelligence agencies are investigating how up to four passengers with suspect identities were able to board the missing Boeing 777 jet, the government said, as planes and ships from across Asia resumed the hunt...More >
Saturday, March 8 2014 4:03 PM EST2014-03-08 21:03:22 GMT
Metro police have a bank robbery suspect in custody after robbing one bank and attempting to rob two others across the Valley Saturday morning. Lt. Michael Wallace said the first report of an attemptedMore >
Metro police have a bank robbery suspect in custody after robbing one bank and attempting to rob two others across the Valley Saturday morning.More >