Clark County approves 'dangerous objects' ban - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Clark County approves 'dangerous objects' ban

Posted: Updated:
Batteries and generators will not be permitted on sidewalks under the new county ordinance Batteries and generators will not be permitted on sidewalks under the new county ordinance
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Clark County commissioners passed an ordinance Tuesday, banning dangerous objects on the strip.

The new ordinance applies to everyone, but it's likely to have a deeper effect on some of the performers who line the sidewalks of Las Vegas Boulevard. Those who use fire, swords, or even a power generator will have to come up with a plan B.

"Some performers have really great acts, and I don't think they're causing problems on the streets. They're bringing entertainment to people," said Brian Petre, who poses for photos on the strip as Alan and baby Carlos from the movie, The Hangover.

Petre has been performing on Las Vegas Boulevard for just under a year, and he likes the freedom.

Clark County commissioners, however, voted to effectively ban dangerous objects, including, but not limited to the following: electrical cords, wires, fire, fireworks, swords, knives, skateboards, even power generators and batteries.

More: County ordinance document PDF

"This is about hazards for tripping. This is about safety - pedestrian flow," said Commissioner Chris Giunchigliani, who even rode around the strip in a wheelchair recently to research the dangers.

"You could have somebody that sets up a chair and wants to plug in a music box and steals power from Walgreens. No, that's not permitted," she said while listing examples.

Several performers FOX5 spoke with Tuesday said they have seen dangerous acts before.

"I saw one magician that worked with lighter fluid, where he'd put it in his mouth and spit on it, and it gave a bust of fire," said a man dressed as Elmo from Sesame Street.

The restricted zone includes Las Vegas Boulevard from Russell to Sahara, and portions of side streets in between.

ACLU General Counsel Allen Lichtenstein sees no problem with the new law.

"It's not designed to stifle expression, and it does not seem unreasonable," he said.

Even though some on the strip think it is.

"I do think that case per case is more practical than just one bad apple ruins the whole bunch, for sure," Petre said.

The ordinance won't take effect until around mid-November, which only gives a few weeks for some of the performers to change up their act.

Giunchigliani said enforcement will begin with notifying the public in a newspaper, then issuing citations.

Commissioners have been working on strip improvements since last year, when they set up the Resort Corridor Workgroup.

Copyright 2012 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service..