Police: Bus stop wreck suspect drove without license - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Police: Bus stop wreck suspect drove without license

Posted: Updated:
In an arrest report, Gary Hosey, Jr. told police he had been rushing to get home before crashing into a bus stop shelter. (LVMPD, overlay; James Atencio) In an arrest report, Gary Hosey, Jr. told police he had been rushing to get home before crashing into a bus stop shelter. (LVMPD, overlay; James Atencio)

The driver charged in a deadly wreck at a Las Vegas bus stop told police he had one beer before driving his girlfriend's car at a high rate of speed and losing control of the vehicle.

According to an arrest report released Monday, Gary Lee Hosey, Jr., 23, was rushing home to pick up his girlfriend and take her to work when he was involved in a crash that killed four people at a west end bus stop.

In the report, police said an officer fueling at a nearby gas station observed a black Chevy Monte Carlo heading eastbound on Spring Mountain Drive, past Decatur Boulevard. The officer reported seeing the car travel at a high rate of speed just before 6:30 a.m. on Sept. 13.

Police said the officer saw the vehicle hit a drainage dip, go airborne, lose control and hit a bus stop shelter, which had several awaiting pedestrians.

Metro said Hosey, whom identified himself to officers as the driver of the wrecked vehicle, was observed crawling out of the vehicle while three other occupants were trapped. Those occupants would later be extracted by use of the jaws of life, police said.

Metro also said several of the pedestrians struck at the scene had already succumbed to injuries shortly after first responding emergency units arrived. A total of seven people were also hospitalized in the wreck, police said.

In the report, police said an officer made contact with Hosey, who appeared to have bloodshot watery eyes, slurred speech, an unsteady gate and the odor of alcohol coming from his breath.

The report said field sobriety and breathalyzer tests were administered. According to the report, Hosey blew a blood-alcohol content above the illegal percentage of .08.

Police said Hosey was transported to Sunrise Hospital to be treated for injuries.

There, the report said, Hosey was interviewed by officers about what led up to the accident. According to police, Hosey had one beer at a bar on Jones Boulevard and Spring Mountain. He told police he had to rush off to pick up his girlfriend who he needed to drop off at work by 7 a.m.

In the report, he told police that he was in hurry because he didn't want to make his girlfriend late. He affirmed to officers that he had been driving about 15 mph above the posted speed limit of 45.

In the report, officers told Hosey that he would be charged with four counts of driving under the influence of alcohol, with the possibility of additional counts for DUI causing bodily harm.

Police went forward with the booking process in absentia, according to the report, and, after Hosey was released late Thursday, he was placed in custody at Clark County Detention Center.

The arrest report also showed that Hosey did not have a Nevada driver's license or an application for one pending.

The arrest report also said a witness reported seeing the vehicle speeding at about 100 mph.

Hosey made his initial court appearance at Regional Justice Center on Monday. Judge Conrad Hafen ordered Hosey to remain in custody and did not set his bail.

Hosey is next due in court on Sept. 21.

Stay tuned to FOX5 for the latest on this developing story.


Copyright 2012 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.