Henderson teen speaks on her abduction - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU

Henderson teen speaks on her abduction

Posted: Updated:
Melissa Duran was held captive for 20 hours after being abducted from her Henderson home. Melissa Duran was held captive for 20 hours after being abducted from her Henderson home.

A 17-year-old girl who was abducted from her Henderson home, but later rescued, says the whole order began when a man came at her door and threw sand in her eyes.

Melissa Duran spent 20 hours held captive by two men on Aug. 31, according to Henderson police. Police said the abduction was also a plot for ransom.

After a statewide Amber Alert for her and a vehicle used in her abduction, Duran was rescued by SWAT team members at a Las Vegas apartment complex on Stewart and Eastern avenues on Saturday.

The day after her ordeal, Duran was back at home and ready to open up about the shaking experience.

She recalled that she didn't suspect anything the morning when a man knocked at the door of her family home. She said she thought he was an employee of her father's business.

"I opened the door and I said ‘hello,'" she said of that morning. "Then he kind of just stood there. He didn't really look at me, though. He just kind of looked away."

At that point, she said, the man threw sand in her eyes.

"He was hitting me, and I was trying to hit him," Melissa said.

A second man had grabbed her, according to Duran.

"I noticed that they were pulling me away. I was just yelling, and, then I noticed my little brother came out, and he was like ‘I'm going to call the cops.' The guy was like, ‘No, don't call the cops. We're going to kill her.'"

Melissa said she was placed in a car and blindfolded by two men, who police identified as Alejandro Sanchez-Sanchez, 25, and Cesar Sanchez, 30.

Duran, though, believed there was a third person.

"There was one that was driving, one in the passenger seat and one that was behind me."

Duran said she attempted calling 911 but had her phone taken away.

After arriving at the apartment complex, she said the men tried calling her parents and asking for a certain amount of money. She said police tracked her cell phone and the kidnappers' car, which was caught on a neighbor's surveillance camera.

Armed with the information, police were able to act quickly and rescue the girl.

"I heard like a big boom on the door," Melissa recalled. "They were like SWAT team…They came right into the bedroom, untied me and took my blindfold off. They got me out of there as fast as possible."

The harrowing tale was far different from her Sunday after the kidnapping.

Duran was surrounded by family members who had arrived from as far as Mexico. She had also been supported by total strangers who sympathized with her situation.

"They've all really been helpful. People that I don't know, people from school, people from other states."

Melissa said she's been thinking about pursuing law enforcement, but the incident has pushed her even more so to do it.

"I'm not going to be the same any more, but I don't want to be different from the person I was before."

The two alleged kidnappers were booked into the Henderson Detention Center. Police did not confirm a third arrest, but Melissa's family said that person was in custody.

Copyright 2012 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

More News

More: Melissa Duran


Duran, 17, was taken from her home on Aug. 31, 2012. Police were able to track her down safely to a Las Vegas apartment complex the next day.Arrests made after kidnapped Henderson girl foundHenderson teen More>>

Powered by Frankly
Fox 5
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KVVU Broadcasting Corporation, Las Vegas, NV and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.