Report details evidence against Vegas slaying suspect
Bryan Clay in police custody (Courtesy: LVMPD)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
Cell phone records, clothing, DNA evidence and a fingerprint all link a 22-year-old Las Vegas man to the killings of a mother and daughter and the sexual assault of a woman, according to Metro police.
Bryan Clay, 22, will make his first court appearance Tuesday in connection with the April 15 attacks. He is charged with murder, attempted murder, sexual assault and burglary.
Clay was arrested Friday morning after his mother, Latasha White, called police and reported her son was at her home.
Police believe he is the man responsible for the gruesome slayings of 38-year-old Ignacia and 10-year-old Karla Martinez at their home on Robin Street.
The killings happened after a 50-year-old woman was sexually assaulted near the home at the intersection of Tonopah and Vegas drives, according to the arrest report.
The woman fought back, hitting the attacker in the head with a rock.
Police said Clay took the woman's cell phone and escaped, but left behind a baseball cap.
Blood on the woman's jacket belonged to Clay, according to police, and he had marks on his face indicating he'd been struck with a rock.
Several calls made from the woman's phone led detectives to friends of Clay, who identified him by his nickname, "Junior," according to the report.
When confronted with the evidence, police said, Clay didn't deny the assault took place, but said he did not remember what happened and, "he must have done what detectives were saying he did."
In the report, Clay told a story about taken Ecstasy and smoking a PCP-laced cigarette before falling asleep at his brother's house.
He claimed he woke up the next day to find another person's cell phone sitting next to him, police said.
Clay also did not deny his involvement in the Martinez killings, and made several comments that "detectives should have killed him instead of arresting him and that he wanted them to kill him now instead of taking him to jail," police wrote in the report.
The bodies of Ignacia and Karla Martinez were found April 16 after a 9-year-old boy told adults at Hoggard Elementary School that his mother and sister had been killed.
Both women had been sexually assaulted, police said, and DNA evidence linked the attacks to Clay.
"[The boy] also reported his father had two holes in his head, was acting strange and there was blood all over the home," according to the report.
The child's father, Arturo Martinez, was also found injured at the house. He suffered "at least three separate blows to the head with a blunt object," police said.
Martinez is being treated at University Medical Center and has been unable to communicate with police or doctors.
Another child was found inside the house unharmed.
Detectives said they found a jacket belonging to Clay on the bed of Arturo Martinez's pickup truck in the driveway.
At the time of Clay's arrest, he had an outstanding warrant for felony child abuse, according to police.
Copyright 2012 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Friday, July 18 2014 3:26 PM EDT2014-07-18 19:26:33 GMT
It's been an extremely difficult day for family and friends as well as officers. So many people were crying, upset as the body of 5-year-old Janaya Thompson was removed from an abandoned trailer.More >
It's been an extremely difficult day for family and friends as well as officers. So many people were crying, upset as the body of 5-year-old Janaya Thompson was removed from an abandoned trailer. Coroner Gary Hargrove said Janaya's body was found in a bathroom.More >