A Las Vegas process server accused of shooting a couple during a robbery attempted suicide while in custody Tuesday night. Thats according to Metro police, who said 38-year-old Gregory Hover is now under guard at a hospital. According to an arrest report, Hover met the victims, Julio and Roberta Romero, while attempting to serve civil papers to Santiago Pozzi, who had stayed with the couple two years ago at their home on Sage Pines Drive east of Jones Boulevard. Roberta Romero, who survived the shootings, told police Hover arrived at their house the night of Jan. 24, asking to see Pozzi. After telling him they didnt know his whereabouts, the couple signed a document and Hover left. Shortly after midnight the next morning, Romero said Hover broke into her home to rob them. She told police he took her wallet and then put her in a closet while he ransacked the bedroom, taking cash and jewelry, including the couples wedding rings. Hover then shot Romero in the face, police said, before he left the home. Romeros husband, Julio, was found shot to death in a bedroom. Police said it appeared he had been bound with duct tape. A short time later someone attempted to use the couples ATM cards, and some of their jewelry had been pawned. Detectives traced Pozzis legal case to Junes Legal Services and identified Hover as an employee. Romero picked Hover out of a photo lineup as she recovered in a hospital. A second man, Richard Freeman, was identified by police as the person who attempted to use the ATM cards. According to the arrest report, Freeman said he went with Hover to serve papers at the Romero household, then returned later and waited as Hover went inside. He told police he heard muffled gunshots and said Hover admitted shooting the couple. After the shootings, Freeman said the pair drove to a convenience store to use the stolen cards and then went to a pawn shop to sell the couples jewelry. Hover is charged with murder, attempted murder, kidnapping, coercion and burglary.
Monday, July 28 2014 1:54 AM EDT2014-07-28 05:54:28 GMT
Authorities now say 14 people - including a 15-year-old - have been struck by lightning during rare summer thunderstorms that have swept through Southern California, injuring two critically.More >
A 20-year-old man died Sunday after lightning struck or rattled 13 people at a popular Los Angeles beach and a golfer on Catalina Island during summer thunderstorms that swept through Southern California, authorities said.More >